Bunyoro sugarcane farmers drag government to court for confiscating their weighbridges
She noted they are asking the court to issue directives clarifying how trade should be conducted and whether such administrative actions are lawful.
Masindi: Sugarcane farmers in Bunyoro under their umbrella body, Bunyoro Sugarcane Farmers Cooperative Union Ltd, have dragged several government agencies to court over the closure and confiscation of their weighbridges.
The farmers have sued the Attorney General of Uganda, the Ministry of Internal Affairs, the Ministry of Trade, Industry and Cooperatives and the Uganda Police Force.
The contested weighbridges, located in Kihande 2 Cell and Rukondwa village, were reportedly closed and confiscated last Friday on alleged orders of Kahinda Otafiire, the Minister for Internal Affairs.
Appearing before the Masindi High Court on Wednesday, the farmers through their lawyer, Suzan Zemei Abbe argued that the closure and confiscation were unconstitutional.
However, lawyers representing the respondents, Elizabeth Nyakwebara and Ronald Nyakwoga, requested an adjournment of the proceedings, saying they had not yet been formally served.
Presiding over the matter, Lady Justice Mary Babirye adjourned the hearing to March 5, 2026, to allow the applicants time to serve the three government agencies.
Speaking after court, Counsel Suzan Zemei Abbe said Uganda’s Constitution guarantees freedoms including trade and expression, which prompted the farmers to seek court interpretation on whether a ministry has authority to evict or close private property without a court order.
She noted they are asking the court to issue directives clarifying how trade should be conducted and whether such administrative actions are lawful.
Meanwhile, Muhamood Kazimbiraine, Chairperson of Bunyoro Sugarcane Farmers Cooperative Union Ltd, said police confiscated the weighbridges without a court order, causing heavy losses to farmers.
Kazimbiraine explained that some farmers had already planned to harvest their sugarcane, but operations were halted. As a result, some cane is drying in the fields, while others are struggling to meet financial obligations, including paying school fees.
He added that several workers, drivers, loaders, and cleaners have lost their jobs following the closure. Kazimbiraine appealed to the court to order government agencies to return the weighbridges and compensate farmers for the losses incurred.
Do you have an advertisement or article you want to publish? Mail us at theugreports@gmail.com or WhatsApp +256757022363.




